Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Welcome. Come in.

My idea for this blog is threefold. Firstly I want to create a place where I can document individual projects, post progress photos, and share some of the details of the process as I work through the task of making a door or a carving. This is mostly for my own edification. I like documenting my work and it keeps me in the habit of taking photos. But it also occurred to me that a customer might be interested enough to want to get updates and see how their project is coming along.

My second thought was that I could share some of the creative process from a motivational, inspirational point of view. I love making things and abandoned the security of a regular paycheck and benefits so I could spend my time creating. There have been times when that decision seemed really foolish. But I'm a romantic, honestly, and I can't help but get caught up in the old search for meaning and beauty in general and the meaning and beauty of handcraft in particular. I like to think of this thread as the ocurring at the junction of inspiration and technique.

Thirdly, I like to opine and this is the perfect platform for that. My wife and dog are tired of hearing it. Here I can pontificate and you can choose to ignore me. Or not.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Gerry- It is I, Obe. I really enjoyed your blog. very informative and easy to read. Nice pictures. I think it will be an great incentive for potential customers to get a sense about you and your work. I don't understand about to "follow". tried that link but it seems it wants an account from me. assuming that I would be sent updates when you make a new entry. is that right?
    anyway, I did find my way here. congratulations and best of luck with this.
    love
    obe

    ReplyDelete